Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Student's View

We're completing the last part of our human rights unit-now on the residential schools in Canada. I had the kids do a web of what they knew and what they thought about the residential schools. I was surprised by one of my student's webs. It was very thought provoking. he basically felt his people had been prostituted out by the government in exchange for the restitution money. Ii understood where he was coming from-he was saying he felt his people were being bought off. Whether or not I agree, you have to recognize where this boy is coming from. He's sayin the money is not enought for the damage it's done to his people.

He's been through so much and experienced so much. I almost didn't even realize that he had such deep thoughts about the subject. You see, he's the life of the party, and it can be very hard to get serious answers out of him. He could be a great leader if he chose to stay on the right path. He would make a great lawyer for his people I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment