Thursday, April 23, 2009

Disappointments Along the Way

I struggle whether or not I should record my feelings of discouagement. I want this blog to showcase the great things, not necessarily the not so great things. At the same time, I feel I need to be honest as disappointments and tragedy is quite common here on the reserve.

People think that there is all the money in the world for anyone who is native or any organization that is native oriented. I can't speak for all places, but the people here are not rich. The school is not rich. The school has a lot of difficulties. I've been without a fridge for almost a year now and I'm a Home Ec teacher. I brought in a tiny bar fridge, and that's quit now...I sell pop to bring money in for food, school supplies, etc. I don't quite like selling pop as I feel it's a total oxymoron, but it brings in money.

And today, I discovered that my digital camera, worth a lot of money, was stolen. I accidently forgot it at school last night, and now it's gone. I'm just grateful that my pictures were uploaded from my great grandmother's recent birthday. I'm not a rich person. I put a lot of my own money back into the classroom, and I work hard to make ends meet. I also don't think it was any of my own students. I don't know who would have taken it, but it's so discouraging. That camera is used all the time for school, for my art, family, and other things. It's so discouraging. I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to replace it. Things are tight right now, for everybody.

Update: got my camera back!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment