Friday, March 20, 2009

Twilight Craze


So unbelievably enough, I left my house at 11:30 p.m. to drive to Walmart to buy the Twilight movie. I got a phone call at 11:15 from one of my students to remind me to buy it! So I pulled my shoes on, stuck the dogs in their kennel, and headed to walmart-about a 15 minute drive away.


I got there and headed to the electronics, where I lined up with probably about 100 people. By the time I got to the till, I'd say that there were another 100 or more behind me. I got three copies of the extended version-one for me, one for a student who wanted a copy, and one for a draw.


See this goes beyond just a movie. I actually started a book club at school for the first book, Twilight. I had kids who were interested, which was unbelievable, as the rez is not known to encourage reading much. I'd never even seen a child reading before! We raised over $300 to buy copies of the book Twilight, and each student got their own copy to read and keep. We meet once a week on Fridays at lunch to discuss things. So far, it's been pretty informal, but the kids are excited, and I'm thrilled. I've decided as a part of an incentive to come, I'm going to hand out a ticket to each kid for each different time they come. The tickets will be put in a draw that will be drawn at the end of the book for a massive grand prize. So far, it'll include the extended version movie (which I bought), and I figure I'll pick up posters, books, etc. as well. We're planning on having a big party at the end of the book and watch the movie. It's the coolest thing to see the kids walking around with their nose in a book-and I even have some guys too! They talk about where they are and how much they've read, and they're so excited.


So in the end, it was worth lining up with a whole bunch of screaming teenagers who were not my students to get the films. Another topic for the book club to bring up...how many of you would have lined up?

No comments:

Post a Comment