Thursday, May 21, 2009

Lighting the Fire 2009

It's so hard to believe that there's only about 1 month left before summer break. It's crazy-on one hand, I really need the break, but on the other hand, I'm really going to miss my students over the summer!

Right now all the teachers are at a conference put on by MFNERC called Lighting the Fire. I wasn't looking forward to it initially. Based on my subject area, I sometimes come away very disappointed but not this time. Instead, I've been really blown away.

The first workshop I took was about finding funding outside the box. We were taught how to write proposals and business plans, as well as learning about various grants that are available. The presenter was extremely inspirational. He works at Peguis, and has brought in hundreds of thousands of dollars for their community.

Today, I attended a whole day workshop about bringing theatre into the school programming. Wow. I'll add her name in later, but she's well respected in the native community. Her mother also came, who is quite the inspiration herself (a professor at University of Toronto with a doctorate in sociology, an actress, and an established writer/novelist). Both of them together had so much knowledge to pass on. It was simply incredible. I am so tired...the class wore me out, but it was amazing.

I have one day left and that's tomorrow, so I'm hoping the pattern will continue!

I went out for lunch today with one of the teacher's, and we had a great time...I love Dolly. She's like a breath of fresh air, and one thing she said to me was that she admired the strength I have and she can see it within me. I needed to hear that. It meant the world as I've struggled to find my place in amongst some of the teaching staff at the school. I don't fit in a box to put mildly and while I wouldn't refer to my teaching style as radical, it could be considered by some as such. It was just so nice to sit and chat and talk and laugh our asses off!

No comments:

Post a Comment